Students in the STAR Program get the benefit of interacting with a Deputy Sheriff in a friendly environment. STAR Deputies establish relationships with multiple generations of students, parents, teachers and community leaders. While it may be difficult to quantify the effect that STAR Deputies have with statistics, a school with a STAR Deputy is easy to spot. These communities have a genuine “small town” state of mind where parents, students, and teachers feel invested in their community’s law enforcement and welcome deputies into their neighborhood.
STAR Deputies speak to students in a classroom setting about:
· Setting goals regarding college, careers and maturing into successful adults,
· Getting involved in activities to stay busy and out of trouble,
· Developing good communication skills,
· The dangers and consequences of drug abuse, addiction & experimentation,
· Dealing with negative peer pressure and practicing positive peer pressure,
· Exercises in good decision making and being decisive,
· Safety Issues in the student’s local communities (i.e., Flood/Fire Safety for Malibu area students), and
· Current issues and trends at teachers or administrators request (i.e., bullying, internet safety, etc.).